UTAH DIGITAL NEWSPAPERS
©2021 Donald R. Snow ( firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated 2021-12-13
Return to the Utah
Valley Technology and Genealogy Group Home
Page or Don
Snow's Class Listings Page .
ABSTRACT: The Utah Digital Newspapers website
is operated by the University of Utah Marriott
Library and consists of scans of newspapers
published in the state of Utah. Their
goal is to digitize and post every issue of
every newspaper ever published in Utah. It
is free to everyone and is completely
searchable, so you can type in your name, or an ancestor's,
and find every
newspaper it occurs in. They already have millions
of pages of
newspapers online and many small-town newspapers are
complete now. These have a wealth of local
information about families there and their
visitors. This class will show how
to search and download articles from the website.
The notes for
this class and related articles, all with active links,
are posted on
WELCOME AND INTRODUCTION
- Instructor is Donald R. Snow (email@example.com)
of Provo and St. George, Utah.
- The notes, and related information in other articles, are posted
, all with active internet links.
- To see these notes in a different language paste the above
link into Google > Translate (Go to Google, click on the
icon with 3 rows of 3 dots > Translate) > Text; set
the languages from English to whatever you want; the URL
on the right will be in the target language and clocking
on it will show these and anything you click on in them,
in the new language, until you enter a new URL in your
- Tips: (1) To put an icon on your desktop for these
notes, or any webpage, just drag the icon from in front of the
address in your browser onto your desktop. (2) To open a
link, but keep your place in these notes, hold down the Control key
while clicking the link.
- The problem for today: What is the Utah Digital Newspapers website and how do you use it?
- Began in the U.S. in the 1600s
- Newspapers are public records, so they can be cited freely, unlike recent vital records.
- Besides names in news articles, they may be in newspaper vital records, obituaries, classified ads, legal notices, and many other places.
- A helpful compilation of U.S. historical newspaper links is the Ancestor Hunt Newspaper page -- https://www.theancestorhunt.com/newspaper-research-links.html
THE UTAH DIGITAL NEWSPAPERS WEBSITE
- Website is https://digitalnewspapers.org/ -- free and produced by the Marriott Library at the University of Utah with grants from agencies and donations
- Has 3.5 million pages of nearly 200 Utah newspapers online now and working to
digitize every issue of every newspaper ever published in Utah
- Format is searchable pdf, so you can find and download items easily.
- The "About" button (top center) gives the history and
acknowledgements about the entire project
- The "Papers Scanned" button (near top left)
- Shows newspapers online so far - 3.5 million pages of nearly 200 Utah newspapers
- Organized by county in the state, but can also search for a newspaper by CTRL-F (Find) and name of paper
- Blocks are 10-year intervals from 1850 to 2000 and
bars show years posted so far; some papers actually go beyond 2000
- Use right and left arrow keys to show later years; also drag the slider at bottom of each county
- For more info about a newspaper click its title
in the left column
- They have removed some newspapers, e.g. the Brigham Young University Student Newspaper, for some reason.
- The "Help" button has answers to many questions about searching, viewing, and downloading.
- Click the Home button (top left in front of UTAH DIGITAL NEWSPAPERS) to get back to Home page
- Suggestion: Read all the questions at the "Help" button before you start searching.
- Text is searchable since every page is OCR'd (Optical Character Recognized) -- OCR is mostly accurate, but some newspaper type may not be clear
- Use quotes to find exact expressions, e.g. "Eldon Snow" (with no quotes) finds 1000s of hits, but "Eldon Snow" (with quotes) finds the words in that order; there don't seem to be any wild cards to use in searches
- Try variants of the name, e.g. "Eldon Snow", "Eldon S. Snow", "Eldon Stafford Snow", "Snow, Eldon", etc.
- Terms are usually highlighted on the page, but still may be hard to find; can also "search on page" to highlight terms; sometimes it helps to download the entire page and use your pdf reader on your computer to find the terms
- To get information about an area you can browser its newspapers.
READING AND DOWNLOADING ARTICLES
- Note the page of the newspaper so you don't get off
that page and can keep track of that page in your file
tile -- thumbnails on right are other pages and the
arrow chevrons at left and right go to previous and next
- There are scroll bars to move the entire page around and
there is a Hand Tool to move the image with the mouse
cursor - click on Hand Tool icon (right end of bar in "More"
part, the double arrows); makes moving the image much easier
- Downloading the entire newspaper page image
may allow you to save out the part you want more easily;
be sure to note the page number in your file title.
- Long articles can be cut and pieces placed
side-by-side so they aren't "tall and skinny" -- see notes and
articles on my website
about how to do this
- Labeling articles -- use a system so you can tell what is in the file - My system is SurnameGivenNames
(BirthYear-DeathYear)-DateOfEventOrArticle-[Keywords]-[SourceOfArticle]-DateDownloaded.[ext]; dates are written in International Date Format YYYY-MM-DD
so they sort chronologically -- see details in other notes
on my website
- Newspapers are major sources of public information, including
public versions of vital records, and much more and many U.S. states have digital collections.
- Small-town newspapers contain lots of local news, since that was important there.
- Try your name or a relative or a prominent figure and see what you can find about them in Utah newspapers.. You may
find items you didn't expect.
Return to the Utah
Valley Technology and Genealogy Group Home Page
Class Listings Page .