NAUVOO UNIVERSITY FAMILY HISTORY CLASS
Class 02 -- ENTERING DATA AND PHOTOS IN PAF
©2010 by Donald R. Snow
This page last updated 2010-01-19.
Return to the Utah Valley Technology and Genealogy Group Home Page , or Don's
Class Listings Page .
REVIEW AND INTRODUCTION
- Instructors are Donald R. and Diane M. Snow ( email@example.com
and firstname.lastname@example.org ) of Provo and St. George,
Utah, and Nauvoo, Illinois.
- Review -- How did your SOS (Save Our Stories)
interview go? Comments? Get Membership Record from ward
clerk? Get data from your folks? Which journal style will you use? Get started?
- This class will discuss entering data and photos into a PAF (Personal Ancestral File) database.
- These notes with active Internet links are posted on the Utah Valley Technology and Genealogy Group website http://uvtagg.org under Class Outlines , Don's Listings . Many other class notes for family history are linked on the UVTAGG website also.
- Detailed notes about all of what we will be
discussing are in my online notes at the link above -- Look down near the bottom of the page.
- Spiritual Spotlight -- PowerPoint with quote from Wilford Woodruff and from D&C 128
ENTERING DATA AND PHOTOS IN PAF
- Downloading PAF (free) from http://www.familysearch.org
- Installing PAF
- Built-in lessons in PAF -- click on Help > Lessons
- Getting around in PAF
- Family View, Pedigree View, Individual List, Edit Screen
USING THE COMPUTER -- HANDS-ON EXERCISE OF ENTERING DATA ABOUT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY
- PowerPoint to show basics
- The three major rules for entering data
- Enter names as spoken -- PAF will put slashes around surname
- Dates -- PAF will convert to genealogy convention, e.g. 17 Sep 2009
- Places -- enter jurisdictions smallest to largest and separate them by "comma space"
- Demo of entering photos and images into PAF
- Set up a PAF database and enter data for you and your parents, as much as you remember.
- Add a photo to an individual in PAF -- sample photos are on the lab computers
- Bring your PAF database and Church Membership Record next time.
- Enter the data from your Church Membership
Record into your PAF database.
- Link at least one photo into your PAF
Return to the Utah Valley Technology and Genealogy Group Home Page , or Don's Class Listings Page .