NEW FAMILYSEARCH AND AFFILIATE PROGRAMS IIęCopyright 2010 by Donald R. Snow This page last updated 2010-02-11.
WELCOME AND INTRODUCTION TO CLASS
- Instructors are Donald R. and Diane M. Snow ( firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com ) of Provo, Utah; St. George, Utah; and Nauvoo, Illinois.
- Spiritual thought
- These notes with active Internet links are posted on the Utah Valley Technology and Genealogy Group website http://uvtagg.org under Class Outlines , Don's Listings . Many other class notes for family history are posted there, too.
- This class continues the discussion about affiliate programs which are programs that work with New FamilySearch. Last time we discussed some things you would want to do in New FamilySearch such as to see what information nFS has on your ancestors, how to combine duplicates, how to correct data and add new information, and how to download information you want. We mentioned and/or looked at some PAF compatible ones, e.g. Get My Ancestors, Ancestral Quest, and Family Insight.
SOME COMPARISON CHARTS ABOUT AFFILIATE PROGRAMS
- These programs use a different database format than PAF's, but will usually read a PAF database; but if you want to go back to PAF again you will have to use a GEDCOM
- RootsMagic -- commercial, but RootsMagic Essentials is free and full program is free at FHC's -- http://www.rootsmagic.com/ -- connects your RootsMagic database with nFS; video tutorials at http://www.rootsmagic.com/RootsMagic/Tutorials/
- AllMyCousins -- free at present, but will be commercial later -- https://www.allmycousins.com/ -- written by Peter Ivie of Nauvoo
- Helps you download ancestors and descendants with a goal of showing temple work needed
- Shows which names you need to check further for COMBINING in New FamilySearch to be sure temple hasn't been done
- Good 5-minute video in the Help menu
- Commercial version coming out soon, so if you are interested, set up an account and use it soon to download your information
- Legacy -- Standard version is free; the commercial Deluxe version is free at FHC's -- available from http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/ -- connects your Legacy database with nFS -- video tutorials at http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/Videos.asp
- Still others -- see list on https://new.familysearch.org/
ASSIGNMENT (You will need your New FamilySearch user name and password to use these programs.)
- Try out All My Cousins (free at present) and download several generations of your ancestors.
- Try out Get My Ancestors (free) and download several generations of your ancestors.
- Look at the comparison charts and decide which features you want in a genealogy program and try some of the freeware versions of them.
Return to Don's Class Listings page or to the home page of Utah Valley Technology and Genealogy Group .