LDS GENEALOGY BOOKS ONLINE: PART 1
©2022 Donald R. Snow --
Page last updated 2022-03-07Return to the Utah
Valley Technology and Genealogy Group Home Page
or Don's Class
Listings Page .
ABSTRACT: There are many genealogy books with LDS genealogy (members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) and many are online and can be used or downloaded in pdf for free. Examples are Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah, Church Chronology by Andrew Jenson, the Scandinavian Jubilee Album, and Leo J. Muir's A Century of Mormon Activity in California. This class will discuss where these and others are and how to use them. Other classes will discuss additional books. The notes and related articles,
all with active internet links, are on my website http://uvtagg.org/classes/dons/dons-classes.html .
WELCOME AND INTRODUCTION TO CLASS
- Instructor is Donald R. Snow ( firstname.lastname@example.org
) of Provo and St. George, Utah.
- These notes, with active internet links and other related articles, are posted on Don's website
- Tips: (1) Easy to put an icon on your desktop for the
URL for these notes, or any website, by dragging the icon from in front of the address in
your browser to your desktop. (2) To open a link from
here in another tab, so you can keep your place in these notes, hold down
the Control key while clicking the link.
- This class is the first of a series about LDS genealogy books online and will show how to find, use, and download some of these books. Other classes will discuss additional such books.
- There are many websites with genealogy books online
and many of these are free. Here are links
to a few of the major ones.
- FamilySearch Digital Library --
- Internet Archive -- https://archive.org/details/books
- Google Books --
you can form a Google Librry collection
- HathiTrust --
-- you form a HathiTrust collection of your favorites on their website
- Online books are usually in pdf (Portable Document Format) which are pictures of the pages; the pdf page numbers may be different than the
book page numbers since the pdf pages include the
covers, title and front pages, etc., but the
original page numbers will be on each page as in
the original book.
- Some books are only available to search online so you do screenshots of the pages you want
- Since pdfs are pictures of pages, they may not be searchable on your computer, unless they are OCRd (Optical Character
Recognized) with a program that recognizes the characters as words and forms
a text layer on the pdf; there are free and commercial programs, that will
add the text layer to a non-searchable pdf (See other notes on my website)
SOME LDS GENEALOGY BOOKS ONLINE
- Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah - https://archive.org/details/pioneersprominen00esshrich
- Scandinavian Jubilee Album -- https://archive.org/search.php?query=title%3A%28%22Scandinavian%20Jubilee%20Album%22%29
- Church Chronology by Andrew Jenson -- https://archive.org/details/churchchronology1914jens
- A Century of Mormon Activity in California by Leo J. Muir -- https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/viewer/484284/?offset=&return=1#page=1&viewer=picture&o=&n=0&q=
- LDS Biographical Encyclopedia by Andrew Jenson --https://archive.org/details/latterdaysaintbi1901jens
- Historical Record by Andrew Jenson -- https://archive.org/details/historicalrecord05jens
- If you are interested in an LDS or Utah person, you may find information on him or her in some of these books.
- Also, you may be able to help others by knowing about these.
- Additional books will be discussed in other classes.
Return to the Utah Valley
Technology and Genealogy Group Home Page or Don's
Class Listings Page .