EVERNOTE: FOR NOTES AND A LOT MORE
©2020 Donald R. Snow - Last updated 2020-10-08.
Return to the
Utah Valley Technology and Genealogy Group Home Page or Don's
Class Listings Page .
ABSTRACT: The program EVERNOTE has free and
commercial versions to store your notes "in the
cloud" and allow you to see and update them anywhere you can get to the internet. Notes are entered by typing, drag-and-drop, capturing websites,
recording audio, by camera, and other methods. These are stored in notebooks which can be over the internet or just local for privacy. Text is automatically indexed, so it is every-word searchable. This class will
discuss and demonstrate some of these features. The
class notes and related
information in other articles, all with
active links, is posted on
WELCOME AND INTRODUCTION
- Instructor is Donald R. Snow (firstname.lastname@example.org)
of Provo and St. George, Utah.
- The notes and related additional information in other articles is
posted on http://uvtagg.org/classes/dons/dons-classes.html
, all with active Internet links.
- Tips: (1) To put an icon on your desktop for these
notes, or any webpage, just drag the icon from in front of the
address in your browser onto your desktop. (2) To open a
link, but keep your place in these notes, hold down the Control key
while clicking the link.
- The problem for today: What is EVERNOTE and how do you use it?
INTRODUCTION TO EVERNOTE
- To get EVERNOTE go to https://www.evernote.com/ , select your user name and password, and set up a free account. This is the account you log into on any of your mobile or computer devices.
- Free version has limitations, but is sufficient for many uses in family history; it can be installed on two devices, e.g. your computer and your smartphone; you can use the web version with your account on any other device.
- Commercial versions can be installed on as many devices as you want; can still use the web version anywhere
- Some helps and tutorials
- "Unofficial Evernote Manual" -- http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-use-evernote-the-missing-manual-full-text/
- Keyboard Shortcuts Cheat Sheet -- https://www.maketecheasier.com/cheatsheet/evernote-keyboard-shortcuts/
- Evernote Blog
NOTEBOOKS AND NOTES
- Notebooks in EVERNOTE
- Synchronized - these go over the internet to be available on your other devices; automatically backed up online
- Local - just on that device; not on the internet so doesn't sync; use for private; can be backed up by copying
- Notes in EVERNOTE
- Notes can be text, pdfs, photos, websites, audio, video, and files
- Enter text by typing or copy-and-paste; pdfs and files by drag-and-drop
- Photos by camera -- use as a scanner; "squares up" documents
- Websites by EVERNOTE Web Clipper browser extension-- https://evernote.com/features/webclipper
- Audio by dictating with microphone
- Sharing notes or notebooks with other EVERNOTE users -- especially helpful for genealogy collaboration
- Notes are saved automatically so you never have to remember to save before exiting
- EVERNOTE automatically indexes everything that has text in it
EXAMPLES AND DEMOS OF EVERNOTE IN FAMILY HISTORY
- Write articles and notes -- I write most of my articles in EVERNOTE
- Save screenshots -- examples from FamilySearch - webpage and fan chart
- Save webpages -- tutorials, historical items, census records
- Camera -- use as scanner for documents, forms, photograph artifacts and describe them
- Letter collections -- label so they sort in chronological order for timeline ; use International Date Format YYYY-MM-DD
- Research logs -- can use ToDo boxes; available wherever you are
- Lists -- contacts, libraries, relatives, websites, email addresses, recipes
- Side-by-side images -- example for newspaper clippings
- Presentations -- slideshows of notes and notebooks
WORKING WITH NOTES AND NOTEBOOKS
- Move notes or notebooks by drag-and-drop
- Emails sent to your Evernote email address are saved in Evernote P
- URL's in text notes become active links cursor
at end and pressing space bar
- Tags -- use any number of tag words
- Panels for notebooks, notes, shortcuts, tags, etc., can be organized the way you want
- CTRL+Z = Undo; can also go back to earlier versions of notes
- Spell Checker built in
- Search syntax -- space = AND, -[term] = term not there, "[term]" - exact phrase, searching for "win" finds wind, window, windows, Windows 10, etc.; can search for tags
- Exporting notes or notebooks -- .enex format to enter into other EVERNOTE programs; .txt format to use in other programs; .html format for webpages
- Reminders -- can set for any note for birthdays, etc.
- Presentation Mode
in commercial versions -- highlight notes or notebooks and show as slide show; mouse wheel goes through note; Page Up or Down chagnes note; ESC ends Presentation Mode
- EVERNOTE has many features and there are 3rd party
programs to help -- see EVERNOTE Blog -- https://blog.evernote.com/
and the EVERNOTE App Center -- https://appcenter.evernote.com
- Many online tutorials on YouTube, etc.
- EVERNOTE is a very useful program for family history and free version is sufficient
for many uses
Return to the Utah Valley
Technology and Genealogy Group Home Page or Don's
Class Listings Page .