CASE STUDY: GETTING TO KNOW
ANN STAFFORD SNOW CONDIE
BY APPLYING NEW TOOLS
©2011 by Donald R. Snow
Sections of the Class Notes
This page was last updated 2011-04-19.
Return to the Utah Valley Technology and Genealogy Group Home Page , or Don's Class
Listings Page .
WELCOME AND INTRODUCTION TO CLASS
- Instructors are Donald R. and Diane M. Snow ( email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org ) of Provo and St.
- These notes with active Internet links are posted on the Utah Valley Technology and Genealogy Group website http://uvtagg.org
under Class Outlines
Listings . Many other class notes for family history are posted there also.
- This class will illustrate using some of the new tools to find information about Ann Stafford Snow Condie, Don's grandmother
OVERVIEW: ANN STAFFORD SNOW CONDIE
- Summary of her life: 1867 born in England; 1877 joined LDS Church; 1880 emigrated to America; 1885 married Erastus Beman Snow; lived in Bunkerville, Nevada; Mexico City, Mexico; St. George, Utah; 1900 widowed; 1906 married George Condie; lived in Hamilton Fork, Utah; 1910 widowed again; 1948 died in St. George, Utah
- LDS Church Genealogical Surveys -- Member Autobiographies
- 4-page form that all Church members were asked to complete in 1924-1929
- Hard copy in FHL and on 10 microfilms (FHL #1059454-1059463)
- Timeline of her life from -- http:www.ourtimelines.com -- save as pdf or html
- Google map of her life -- http://www.maps.google.com
EVENTS OF ANN STAFFORD'S LIFE IN ENGLAND
- Linda Snow Westover's prepration to visit us in London 2008
- Where was Ann Stafford christened in Church of England?
- Linda's online discovery - search for Ann Stafford just before leaving for London -- http://www.genuki.org.uk -- Ann was christened in St. Thomas Church, Brampton, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England
- London FHC had the microfilm, so we could check it
- Our genealogy trip with Westover's -- Photos of trip - car, map, GPS, churches, graveyards
- 1867 -- Ann Stafford's birth
- 1871 UK Census -- Ann (age 4) living with grandparents, Eli and Matilda Hardwick, on The Wharf, Newbold, Chesterfield
- Google map of area, including Wharf Lane and Hardwick Street, Chesterfield
- Photos of Hardwick Street and row houses on Wharf Lane
- 1877 -- Baptized into LDS Church (age 10) with grandparents
- Conference records -- Chesterfield LDS Branch -- FHL #86991
- IGI Deceased Membership Record
- 1880 -- Ann emigrated to America - see below
- 1881 -- Ann's mother - Eliza Dennis - death and burial 1881 in Leeds, Yorkshire, England -- from http://www.freebmd.org.uk and National Burials Index avaiable on http://www.findmypast.co.uk in FHCs
- 1913 -- Ann's father - Joshua Stafford - death and burial 1913 in Leeds, Yorkshire, England -- from http://www.freebmd.org.uk
- Later English research
- Linda Westover has found an entire second family of Joshua Stafford with 9 children -- was unknown to Snow family until two years ago
- Ann's pedigree is now posted on GenesReunited -- http://www.genesreunited.com -- may yield additional connections some day
EVENTS OF ANN STAFFORD'S LIFE IN AMERICA
- 1880 -- Immigration to America
- 1885 -- Marriage to Erastus Beman Snow in St. George Temple 24 Feb 1885 (Ann age 18, EBS age 32) --
Western States Marriage Record Index -- http://abish.byui.edu/SpecialCollections/WesternStates/Search.cfm
- 1900 -- Death of Erastus Beman Snow 1900 - widow at age 33
- 1906 -- Marriage to George Condie 29 Oct 1906 in St. George (Ann age 39, George age 56)
- St. George Ward Records -- FHL #26001: Items 1-3 Record of Members; Item 4 Form E
- 1910 -- Death of George Condie 15 Jun 1910 -- widow again at age 43
- 1948 -- Ann died in St. George, Utah 4 May 1948, age 81 years 7 days
- Buried in St. George City Cemetery
STORIES ABOUT ANN
- Carl Condie's remembrances -- Mothers' Day talk and mission to Great Britain about 1931
- Birth certificate of Eldon Stafford Snow born 1891, Bunkerville, Nevada after he had been told there was none
- Story of Eldon Stafford Snow attending the Sorbonne University in Paris
- Look Magazine article "Meet the Mormons", 10 Mar 1942, with picture of Ann
- By applying new tools you may be able to discover new things about your own ancestors
- A new genealogy search engine that searches free websites, http://www.mocavo.com , may give you information you haven't found elsewhere.
- Check FindAGrave for one of your ancestors.
- Do a timeline of the events in the life of an ancestor -- can add up to 10 events online and then save the file as pdf or html to link into your PAF database.
- Make a Google map of the events in the life of one of your ancestors.
- Try searching for an ancestor on http://www.mocavo.com.
Return to the Utah Valley Technology and Genealogy Group Home Page ,
Class Listings Page .