NAUVOO UNIVERSITY FAMILY HISTORY CLASS
Class 03 -- NOTES AND SOURCES
©2010 by Donald R. Snow
This page last updated 2010-01-26.
Return to the Utah Valley Technology and Genealogy Group Home Page , or Don's
Class Listings Page .
REVIEW AND INTRODUCTION
REGISTERING FOR NEW FAMILYSEARCH
- Instructors are Donald R. and Diane M. Snow ( firstname.lastname@example.org
and email@example.com ) of Provo, Utah; St. George,
Utah; and Nauvoo, Illinois.
- How many names have you entered into your PAF database going? Any questions or problems?
- This page with active Internet links is posted on the Utah Valley Technology and Genealogy Group website http://uvtagg.org under Class Outlines , Don's Listings , Nauvoo University.
- This class will discuss entering notes and sources in PAF. For more information about this see other sets of notes in Don's Class Outlines linked above.
- Spiritual thought
- Go to the new FamilySearch home page and register -- https://new.familysearch.org
- Requires your LDS Membership Number and your confirmation date
- Will discuss nFS in more detail in other classes
ENTERING NOTES AND SOURCES IN PAF
- PAF has "built-in" lessons on Notes and Sources -- Click on Help > Lessons > Lesson 3
- Also see more detailed informatiion on Notes and Sources in Don's online class notes mentioned above
- Notes -- information about the person, e.g. biographical, research, To Do lists, etc. -- can copy-and-paste text from online books or articles
- Sources -- record where the data came from, e.g. certificate, article, book, library, URL, etc. -- need to give complete information so someone else could find that source; for example, include book title, author, publication information, library you found it in, call number, page in the book, etc.
- Open your PAF database to the record about yourself and enter a note, for example your present address and telephone numbers
- Add a source to a piece of data in your PAF file, e.g. enter your LDS Church Membership Record as a proof of your baptism date
- Do the "built-in" lesson in PAF on Notes and Sources. (Click on Help > Lessons > Lesson 3)
- Take a quick look at Don's online notes about Entering Notes and Sources on http://uvtagg.org under Class Outlines, Don's Listings, near the bottom of the page.
- Enter at least 5 notes about yourself or your family in your PAF database.
- Enter at least 5 different sources for data in your PAF database.
- Scan your LDS Membership Record sheet and link the file to your PAF database as a source for your LDS ordinances.
Return to the Utah Valley Technology and Genealogy Group Home Page , or Don's Class Listings Page .