NAUVOO UNIVERSITY FAMILY HISTORY CLASS
Class 12: NEW FAMILYSEARCH AND AFFILIATE PROGRAMS
©2010 by Donald R. Snow
This page was last updated 2010-04-06.
Return to the Utah Valley Technology and Genealogy Group Home Page , or Don's Class
Listings Page .
WELCOME AND INTRODUCTION TO CLASS
FAMILY SEARCH -- https://new.familysearch.org/en/action/unsec/welcome
- Instructors are Donald R. and Diane M. Snow ( firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com ) of Provo and St.
George, Utah, and Nauvoo, Illinois.
- These notes with active Internet links are posted on the Utah Valley Technology and Genealogy Group website http://uvtagg.org
under Class Outlines
Listings .¬† Many other class notes for family history are linked on the UVTAGG website also.
- This class will be an introduction to New FamilySearch
and other programs ("affiliate programs" to work with it.
AFFILIATE (3RD-PARTY) PROGRAMS THAT WORK WITH NEW FAMILYSEARCH
and overview of New FamilySearch URL
- 15-minute Tutorial - Navigating
and Finding Information -- go to Help Center on nFS > nFS Overview
- 262-page nFS Manual, pdf
format -- A Userís Guide to the New
FamilySearch Web Site (March 2010) -- go to Help Center >
nFS Overview and Guides > New FamilySearch Overviews and Guides
- 74-page nFS Manual, pdf format, by George Scott -- http://www.usingfamilysearch.com/ -- very helpful and understandable
- Many other helps and guides in nFS
- See information and list of 3rd-party Affiliate Programs for nFS
- Some link your PAF database with New FamilySearch
- Family Insight -- http://www.ohanasoftware.com/ -- commercial program,
but free at FHC's -- also has a free program Get My Andestors that will
allow you to download
several geneations of your answers from nFS
- Ancestral Quest -- http://www.ancquest.com/index.htm
-- commercial program, but free at FHC's, and can use it free at home
for 60 days
- Some require converting your PAF database to another format
before linking with New FamilySearch
- RootsMagic -- http://www.rootsmagic.com/
-- commercial program,
but has a free lite version - RootsMagic Essentials - that will allow you to download several generations of your ancestors
- Legacy -- http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/ -- commercial
program (not certified yet, but almost), has a free version - Legacy
- AllMyCousins -- https://www.allmycousins.com/ --
Pro version is commercial,
but it has a free part that allows downloading some of
your ancestors and cousins from nFS
- Comparison chart and video (some bias towards Ancestral Quest) --
- Watch the 15-minute Navigating and Find Information
tutorial on nFS > Help Center > nFS Overview and Guides .
- Browse through some of the other Overviews and Guides in the Help
Center on nFS.
- Download the new FamilySearch pdf Manual from the nFS Help Center
and look through it briefly.
- Open your PAF database and nFS side-by-side on
your computer screen by first opening both programs, then
right-clicking on a blank space in the blue toolbar at the bottom of
your screen and then clicking on Tile Windows Vertically. Use
this to find an ancestor in nFS and copy some data from nFS into your
PAF database this way.