GLARY UTILITIES FREE
©2023 Donald R. Snow -
Last updated 2023-01-17
Return to the Utah
Valley Technology and Genealogy Group Home Page
Class Listings Page.
ABSTRACT: GLARY UTILITIES FREE is a
Windows program that helps keep your
computer running smoothly. It
has a commercial version, but the
free version is sufficient for most
of us in family history. It
has many features, including a
"CheckDisk"-type program to fix
digital errors, a program to check
for and install needed updates in your
installed programs, a starting
procedure editor, a virus checker,
and much more. We will discuss
how to download and use some of the
basics to keep your computer running
smoothly. The notes for this
class and related articles, all with
active Internet links, are
on my website
WELCOME AND INTRODUCTION
- Instructor is Donald R. Snow
) of Provo, Utah.
- These notes, with active internet
other related articles, are on Don's
- Tips: (1) Easy to put
an icon on
your desktop for these notes or any
drag the icon from in front of the
address in your
browser to your desktop.
(2) To open
a link from here in another tab,
but keep your
place in these notes, hold down the
while clicking the link.
- The problem for today: How do you
electronic problems on your Windows computer
and check for updates for installed programs?
WINDOWS VERSIONS AND LICENSES FOR PROGRAMS
- Windows has 32-bit and 64-bit versions and you
sometimes need to know which when you
download program updates.
- BELARC ADVISOR-
-- free for personal use
- BELARC gives a list
of all hardware and software on your computer,
including versions and license numbers.
- Programs are of several types,
e.g. drivers, utilities, text
programs, genealogy programs,
photo programs, etc.
GLARY UTILITIES FREE
- Free for private use;
-- the free version is enough for most of us in family history.
- Basic features of GLARY
- Hard Drive Cleanup - program you can run periodically, e.g. weekly, to correct computer errors and defrag your hard drives; defrag makes programs and data load faster; new type of solid state hard drives don't need defragging
- Contains a program that checks for and updates installed programs on your computer
- GLARY contains a "startup
procedure" editor so you can
turn off or on things you don't want,
so your computer starts faster
- GLARY has a virus checker, but
others are better for that.
- It contains many additional
features that won't be discussed here.
- Everyone gets computer problems
and it's not always easy to know
if it's major or minor; helps to
have a grandkid to ask.
- GLARY UTILITIES FREE helps
to keep your computer running
smoothly and updating your
- Using something like GLARY
takes a little time, but saves
grief and time in the long
Return to the Utah Valley Technology and Genealogy Group Home Page
or Don Snow's Class Listings Page