WAS YOUR ANCESTOR A MORMON?
by Diane M. Snow
Hyde Park Family History Centre
12 Feb 2008
Return to Hyde Park Family History Centre
INTERNATIONAL GENEALOGICAL INDEX -- http://www.familysearch.org
- If the answer is yes, here’s the reason why.
- Historical context.
- 1830 - Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints established - New York
- 1837 - First missionaries to England - Beginnings in Preston, Lancashire, England
- 1840 - First Mormon Emigration Company (Ship Britannia)
- 1852 - Aid to emigrants from Perpetual Emigrating Fund
- By 1861 there were 79,531 converts of whom 19,804
had emigrated to the U.S. (25%)
- By 1901 there were 110,301 converts of whom 46,054
had emigrated to the U.S. (42%)
- The Mormons are a record keeping people.
- Belief in eternal families motivates genealogical research
- This talk will highlight some of the unique records that are available
to you as you research your Mormon ancestors.
Link to Elder Snow’s detailed notes of sources for LDS and Utah
- Submitted by members for their ancestors from their personal record
- Indexed from parish records, etc.