Salt Lake City [Salt Lake City, Utah] Oct 3d 1885 Saturday [3 Oct 1885]

Dear Son Ashby [Ashby Snow, b. 1867] — I expect to start tomorrow morning [Sunday 4 Oct 1885] to meet your mother [Elizabeth Rebecca Ashby Snow, b. 1831] and Tony [Anthony Woodward Ivins, b. 1852] at Juab and return with them here and probably go to Logan conference [General Conference at Logan, Utah] Monday [5 Oct 1885] or Tuesday [6 Oct 1885]. It is yet a little uncertain when we will start for Arrizona [Arizona] & Sonora [Sonora, Mexico]. not at least for a few days. Bro Eyring arrived last night and is bying [buying] goods today It is not yet decided as to whether he will be called on a mission to Germany. If so he will of course first return to St. George [St. George, Utah] and arrange his business. I learn from Eddies [Edward Hunter Snow, b. 1865] letters and from E.B. [Erastus Beman Snow, b. 1853] that much of our hay was spoiled or injured by the heavy rains and much has been fed out so there will not be sufficient for winters use and further that a surplus of horses are being kept up and fed, including a riding horse of yours. I have written them and now write you that all should be sent onto some safe range, to get there [their] own living except one work team and Kate unless you can keep a team that can do to drive on the Buggy and do light work and also do for riding such for instance as the grey colt (which is a good saddle horse) and either Dall or yours or Arthurs [Arthur Eugene Snow, b. 1870] or the Brown mare abloined [?]of Landers in exchange for Charley which ever will do best for both work and riding. If Dall or other mares are with foal perhaps they had better be sent off. Is yours suitable to mate the grey colt? While I realize it may be desireable [desirable] for you to occasionally exercise on horseback yet it costs to [too] much to buy feed and keep a horse exclusively for that purpose. If your horse, cannot safely be trusted on the range, perhaps you better sell him if you can get stock in the Store [E. B. Snow Furniture Store ?] for him or get enough Tithing orders or turn him for Lumber or to pay the platehers [plasterers] and painters on your mothers [Elizabeth Rebecca Ashby Snow, b. 1831] House Consult E.B. [Erastus Beman Snow, b. 1853] & Arthur [Arthur Eugene Snow, b. 1870] and do the best you can and cooperate with Eddie [Edward Hunter Snow, b. 1865] in getting rid of all the surplus stock bearing in mind the ranges where the horses have been accustomed to run and send them where they will not stray away and get lost. I have been thinking about your schooling and after talking with your mother [Elizabeth Rebecca Ashby Snow, b. 1831]

may have more to say about it. can confine yourself to study for a year or so and thereafter resume business. Talk with Josephine [Josephine Snow, b. 1859] about it. Would it be more to your liking to attend B.Y. Acadmey [Brigham Young Academy, Provo, Utah] or come to Salt Lake [Salt Lake City, Utah] to school and board with Annie [Anna Beckstrom Snow, b. 1825] or Minerva [Minerva White Snow, b. 1822] ? And would you start this Winter or wait till next August [Aug 1886] ? I write in haste and send love to Arthur [Arthur Eugene Snow, b. 1870], Clara and the girls as well as yourself—Erastus Snow [Erastus Snow, b. 1818]

P.S. If you write to me or Telegraph your Mother [Elizabeth Rebecca Ashby Snow, b. 1831] or me next week. I may arrange it before I leave. Could Josephine [Josephine Snow, b. 1859] or Clara take your place in the Store if you should conclude to leave for school this fall. E.S. [Erastus Snow, b. 1818]