Salt Lake City July 21st 1884 [Salt Lake City, Utah Monday 21 Jul 1884]
My ever beloved wife Elisabeth [Elizabeth Rebecca Ashby Snow, b. 1831]
You were no doubt astonished if not disappointed at the sudden change of Programm [program] the announcement of which would set you to disrobing and unpacking. It was hard for me to bring my feelings to the change at first as it would interfere with my contemplated trip home in September [Sep 1884] and visit at Upper Kanab [Kanab, Utah] and I feared puting [putting] of [off] our trip East [Eastern Utah and Colorado] so long would discorage [discourage] you from accompanying me. I now begin to feel reconciled to the change and believe it best, for several reasons. First there is no serious or sufficient reason for my going home in September [Sep 1884] and hurry back here to October conference [October General Conference 1884] and more especially if you come up to see me which I think is better- And furthermore it would have hurried me every moment during the entire summer to have made the Eastern trip and also home and back again and would have nearly worn me out. Secondly to have started East on the 25th [Friday 25 Jul 1884] would have taken us onto the San Juan [San Juan River ?] during the hot weather and all our land travel by carriage is in that region which like Dixie [St. George, Utah] would be hot & dusty but in Sept [Sep 1884] will be after summer rains and weather geting [getting] cooler- Third we would now miss the Quarterly conferences [Quarterly Stake Conferences] but then we will strike three of them already published and see more of the people. I was amused and not a little gratified on recieving [receiving] your letter today after announcing the change to you in which you refer to my contemplated trip to Colorado and expressed a wish that you could go with me, and to look at dates and find that I was writing to you from Logan [Logan, Utah] at the same hour wishing you were here to go with me- I guess it is right and you will also conclude with me that it is best to be reconciled to the change- Priest Jos F. [President Joseph F. Smith] & wife and Elder John Morgan go with us and perhaps some others. Arrangements are made for Rail Road [railroad] Passes- and they will be made for conveyances from Terminus at Durango [Durango, Colorado]. I suppose you will think of fruit to be put up and home & children &c [etc.] But thanks for good Daughters to relieve you of that. If you conclude to go with Eddy [Edward Hunter Snow, b. 1865] & Libbie [Elizabeth Ashby Snow Ivins, b. 1854] to Kanab Kanab, Utah] & visit Flora [Florence Snow, b. 1856] on your way up the other girls can have their turn later. If Eddy [Edward Hunter Snow, b. 1865] takes the Rack you can go as well as not and help Libbie [Elizabeth Ashby Snow Ivins, b. 1854] with her children and Josephine [Josephine Snow, b. 1859] also if she can see a way back again in time to relieve Georgianna [Georgiana Snow, b. 1862] and for school. I propose for Bro. Ivins [Anthony Woodward Ivins, b. 1852] to arrange to go up so as to reach Panguitch [Panguitch, Utah] town or the Lake [Panguitch Lake, Utah] by the 19th or 20th of August [Tuesday 19 Aug 1884 or Wednesday 20 Aug 1884] and take my Buggy and one of the girls, while Eddy [Edward Hunter Snow, b. 1865] takes you & Libbie [Elizabeth Ashby Snow Ivins, b. 1854] & perhaps Joseph [Joseph Smith Snow, b. 1873] or Arthur [Arthur Eugene Snow, b. 1870] as may seem best and from the Ranch he can take a load of you over to the Lake [Panguitch Lake, Utah] in time to meet Tony [Anthony Woodward Ivins, b. 1852] and at Panguich [Panguitch, Utah] exchange carriages and bring you on 60 miles below Panguitch [Panguitch, Utah] to meet me & Martha [Martha Ellen Snow, b. 1865] at Monroe [Monroe, Utah] on the 21st of August or 22nd [Thursday 21 Aug 1884 or Friday 22 Aug 1884] either will do as Richfield conference [Richfield, Utah Quarterly Conference] will commence on the 23rd [Saturday 23 Aug 1884] - I will arrange conveyance from there for you [Elizabeth Rebecca Ashby Snow, b. 1831] & Eddie [Edward Hunter Snow, b. 1865] while Joseph [Joseph Smith Snow, b. 1873] or Arthur [Arthur Eugene Snow, b. 1870] can return with Buggy & Martha [Martha Ellen Snow, b. 1865] from Monroe [Monroe, Utah] to Panguitch [Panguitch, Utah]. You and they will find a half way stoping [stopping] place at Junction [Junction, Utah] with Bro Marrels folks or T. J. Jones first wife & sons- Bro Ivins [Anthony Woodward Ivins, b. 1852] can take all back home with the Rack & Buggy or we can arrange for horses and Buggy to stop at Panguitch [Panguitch, Utah] or sent to Beaver [Beaver, Utah] to await our return to Milford [Milford, Utah] about Oct. 10th [Friday 10 Oct 1884] If you prefer to forego your visit to Flora [Florence Snow, b. 1856] and let the Girls go you can come up with Tony [Anthony Woodward Ivins, b. 1852] to the Lake [Panguitch Lake, Utah] & possibly have a short visit with Flora [Florence Snow, b. 1856] and all at the Lake [Panguitch Lake, Utah] and then meet me at Monroe [Monroe, Utah] or Richfield conference [Richfield, Utah Quarterly Conference] as you choose to fix it up to suit all round.
Bro Moses Thatcher told me he could not leave to go south untill [unitl] after October conference [October General Conference] I am so glad the pictures are satisfactory. Get our ballance [balance] money you need in paying for them of Noney [?] or Eyring & draw order on me here-
Have Ashby [Ashby Snow, b. 1867] or E. B. [Erastus Beman Snow, b. 1853] get of Burmester [?] a duebill of Orson Foster for Lumber if nothing else can be got out of him. He told me Foster [Orson Foster] & Frank Ashby owed him smith work- I just got [a] letter from Frank [Franklin Richards Snow, b. 1854] who is much better of disentary [dysentery] as also Bro. H. Pratt [Helaman Pratt] My back & kidneys have troubled me from a cold taken at Logan [Logan, Utah] but now better & health generally quite good. Anna [Anna Beckstrom Snow] sends love & Martha [Martha Ellen Snow, b. 1865] - Minerva [Minerva White Snow, b. 1822] at Gintill Valley [Gentile Valley, Utah]. Martha [Martha Ellen Snow, b. 1865] & I hurrying to get off to take [the] 5 oclock [5 o'clock – 5 pm] excurtion [excursion] train to the Salt Lake [Great Salt Lake, Utah] for a Bathe [bath]- Wish you were here to go with us. Hope Georgia [Georgiana Snow, b. 1862] & Moroni [Moroni Snow, b. 1858] & folks, Mahonri [Mahonri Moriancumr Snow, b. 1847] & Nealy [Cornelia Lytle Snow, b. 1849] will all have a good time and return from Pine Valley [Pine Valley, Utah] refreshed. Love to all the children. God help and preserve them all. You must decide about who of them to take or send to the Ranch. and as to Arthur [Arthur Eugene Snow, b. 1870] going it must be determined by his homework. Consult with E. B. [Erastus Beman Snow, b. 1853] & Eddie [Edward Hunter Snow, b. 1865] about that-
Affectionately yours as ever
Erastus Snow [Erastus Snow, b. 1818]